Sometimes as moms, we feel as if our life doesn’t have much value as we reminisce about our pre-baby career. We are so busy with the tasks of changing diapers, breaking up sibling squabbles, and picking up toys that we feel stuck in a rut. We feel like what we’re doing isn’t meaningful. You wonder how to feel fulfilled as a stay-at-home mom when although your tasks keep you busy, they seem so trivial. I know that you can find fulfillment as a stay-at-home mom because I have done it, and you can too.
How do Stay at Home Moms Feel Fulfilled?
There’s no changing the day-to-day chores that we have as stay-at-home moms. Yes, some days are slightly different or less chaotic than others, but in general, there are certain tasks that are ongoing. The little ones always need to be fed and the laundry always needs to be done. There are always toys and clutter to keep after and errands to run. Let’s look at some ways we can feel fulfilled by finding purpose, contentment, and success as stay-at-home moms.
Finding purpose as a stay at home mom
How can you find purpose as a stay-at-home mom in the middle of the mundane? There are several things that you can do to not only find, but also keep your purpose. Believe it or not, this time at home with your children is so important.
- Keep your focus. First of all, think back to why you chose to stay at home with your children. You most likely didn’t become a stay-at-home mom by accident. Maybe, like me, you always knew you wanted to stay home with your children, or maybe you started out working but realized how much you were missing out on. Why do you want to be home with your children?
- Have a vision. Now that you remember your focus, have a vision for moving forward. What do you hope to accomplish by staying at home with your children? What are the most important goals you have for them? As you think about these things, it helps you find purpose as a mom. You have something to reach forward to. You have an overarching vision guiding your day-to-day decisions and reactions.
- Invest in your calling. One of the most important visions we can have is to raise children who love God with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength. Motherhood definitely has its ups and downs, but when we have purpose as a stay-at-home mom, we will feel much more fulfilled. Throw yourself into this calling with your whole heart. God has called you, and He will give you everything you need to carry out this purpose.
- Find friends with the same vision. There’s something about community and fellowship with like-minded women to inspire and encourage us in our walk. We can feel much more purposeful if we have other women who share our vision in our lives. We will feel more fulfilled as we interact with these like-minded women. We have encouragement to keep staying the course when we are down.
Finding contentment as a stay at home mom
How can a stay-at-home mom be content? As you remember and find purpose in your motherhood, you will begin to feel more content. Let’s look at some other ways you can foster contentment as a mom. Even in the chaos, you can be content.
- Be happy with your choice. As mentioned above, you chose to stay at home with your children. You felt that by doing so you were doing what was best for them. You made a great choice, so be content with that. I don’t think you’ll ever look back at these years and wish you had chosen to work instead. You will cherish those memories with your babies.
- Don’t compare. It’s hard to be content as a mom when you are comparing yourself to other moms who seem to have it all together. Let me tell you a secret. They don’t. We all struggle with something. Just because she looks all put together every time you see her, doesn’t mean her house isn’t a wreck (ask me how I know). Also, don’t compare your pre-kid working self to yourself now. You had totally different priorities back then. Focus on what God has called you to right now . . . and that is to be fulfilled as a stay at home mom by finding contentment. He has called you to raise children who love Him and His kingdom and not American culture.
- Foster gratitude. There are many ways to grow the practice of gratitude. We truly have so much to be thankful for. Maybe you just want to thank God for five things each day, or you could start a gratitude journal. Gratitude is a great way to find contentment and fulfillment as a mom.
- Read inspiring books. I’ve found so many great books that are written for the purpose of inspiring Christian mothers to embrace the calling God has given us. Pick one to start reading, or maybe you’d prefer to find a great blog or podcast to inspire you.
What does the Bible say about the role of a mother? To learn more about being a godly mother, check out these 10 characteristics of a good mother according to the Bible.
Feeling successful as a stay at home mom
Okay, so now you have your purpose and vision, you’re beginning to see that there are great ways to feel content, but how can a stay-at-home mom feel successful? Even with purpose and contentment, you’re still doing the same daily tasks. Some days, it honestly feels like you accomplished nothing by the end of the day, however, there are some things you can do to help you feel more successful as a mom.
- Get dressed daily. This might seem like just a little thing, but you’re going to feel much better about yourself if you’re not still in your pajamas when your husband gets home. I’m sure he’ll appreciate it too!
- Stay healthy. As moms, we often tend to put ourselves on the backburner. We work hard to take care of our husband and children, but forget to care for ourselves. Realize that you can’t take care of your family if you’re not healthy yourself. Make sure you get enough rest, eat healthy meals, and not just your kids’ leftovers, and get in some exercise. Maybe challenge yourself to a short workout at naptime or a daily walk around the neighborhood with your children.
- Value your time. In order to feel successful as a mom, you need to value your time. Don’t waste it by focusing on things that don’t truly matter or by being a distracted mom. You can get so much accomplished if you use your time wisely.
- Simplify life. There are ways to simplify life so that you have more time to invest in relationships with your children and pursue what is important to you, even though you’re still busy raising your children. As you streamline and simplify, build routines into your day, and value your time, you will be amazed at how successful and fulfilled as a mom you feel. You won’t feel that you’re in survival mode, but will be able to truly enjoy the life that God has called you to.
- Invest in personal growth. Sometimes when we spend years doing little but caring for others, we begin to lose ourselves and who we once were. It’s totally fine to grow and become more giving of ourselves, but we also need to remember that God made us who we are. He gave each of us unique gifts and talents to be used for His glory. Take some time to develop and use those skills in some way. Maybe you love to craft and can bless others with gifts of encouragement, or perhaps you want to teach others about something you know a lot about. Even as a stay-at-home mom, there are ways to use your gifts and talents.
Have realistic expectations
Are you encouraged that you can feel fulfilled as a stay-at-home mom? I certainly hope so, but I want to leave you with a word of caution. There are some seasons of life that are extra busy or chaotic, such as the arrival of a new baby, or the sickness or death of a loved one. In these seasons, give yourself grace and have realistic expectations. You may have to function in survival mode for a few weeks and that’s okay! Even in the chaotic season, you can still focus on your purpose and find things to be grateful for. You can still feel fulfilled as a mom, even in the difficult seasons. God is with us in every season of life, both the pleasant and the challenging.
How have you found fulfillment in your motherhood journey? What area are you going to start working on? I’d love to hear about it below.
You may also enjoy: